Monday, November 15, 2010

Until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand. ♥

This blog is dedicated to my grandma, who went to be with God this morning at 1:15. :'(

To start off, my grandma was the freaking bomb. She kept our family together through everything, and was our rock. I'm going to miss her more than anybody will ever understand.

And just for the record; I reallly appreciate all the prayers, calls, texts, facebook messages/status comments, visits, and other methods of showing that you care. Thanks, ♥

Grandma's always been so active, and healthy. And when you get to be 88, that's pretty awesome. About a month ago, she had open heart surgery. Everyone was so nervous/freaking out about it, but she did really really well. She went into nursing homes, rehab centers, and was making good progress. But then a million things started going wrong, and her kidney's were failing. Yesterday the doctors decided to take her off her IV's, which she couldn't survive without. Grandma said, "If I can't get better, then I just wanna go." She went into a peaceful coma, and then left for a better place.

We've always been really close. When I was 7 or 8, I started going to this horse camp (I was obsessed) called Holoquin up in Waynesboro where she lived. I think it was two weeks long, and for a good part of the day (like 8 in the morning 'till 4). I would stay at Grandma's house, just me and her, for two weeks. Every year, for about 4 or 5 years. The year I stopped going and pretty much riding horses all together, she was really sad. That was our special time. I wish I would've kept doing it.

When I was in 1st grade, I got my acorn-sized tounsils taken out. I hated every minute of it, and when I woke up from the surgery I remember screaming my little 7-year-old lungs out for my mommy and daddy. When they finally wheeled my to them, my grandma was there waiting too. She stayed at our house alot until I got better. I remember we got into this big fight once, because I refused to eat. I was on a jello, pudding, sorbet, broth, etc... diet which I hated so much. I got so sick of it, and I yelled at my grandma because she was trying to get me to eat that crap. She yelled right back at me, and didn't talk to me for the rest of the day. I got scared because she never, ever, everrrr yells at anyone. But it proved to me that day that she had a backbone, and wouldn't let 7-year-old me, or really anyone, treat her with disrespect.

Every Easter, she threw an Easter egg hunt and made the bunny cake for me. Nobody ever did the egg hunt except for me, and sometimes Michael and Ella. She made the bunny cake because I saw it watching ZOOM at her house. Everyone hated it, but we made every year anyways, because we thought it was adorable.

No conversation was ever complete without grandma complaining about teenagers, texting while driving, or teenagers texting while driving. "My gosh, these days. How STUPID do you have to be do these things. Back in the day, we didn't even have those blasted cell phones."

And one of the last things she said to me was,

"Alicia...? You're so beautiful, ever since you were little. I will always love you, no matter what happens to me."

You'll forever be in my heart, grandma. Nothing is ever going to be the same, for anyone in my family. I'm sure it's really gonna hit on Thanksgiving. Exactly a year will have passed since Aunt Edna's passing, and now yours. It will sincerely suck, but I know you'll be watching over us. You were freaking awesome, and I love you.

Thelma Plum, ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment