Tuesday, July 27, 2010

More than Meets the Eye 1.

HEY GUYS!

I know, I have officially died off the Blog World. I'm sure very few noticed. :P

But yeah, I'M BACK! Gosh, it feels good to be home. Two weeks is a very very long time. But man, it was worth it. Like, times 10,00000 million times over. I've had a completely life changing time, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Basically, I'll probably write maybe 3 parts to this blog, yes, all about NYC. National Youth Confrence is what it stands for, btw. Not New York City. (:

Part 1; Trip Out
Part 2; Actual Confrence
Part 3; Trip Back

Hope you enjoy reading it, :D

Part 1;


Okay, so the actual trip out took 6 days to be technical. We got at the church around 5:30 in the morning, and left by 7 or so. There was almost 50 people on our Coach bus, driven by the AMAZING driver, Bob! Mount Wilson COB (Church of the Brethren) came with us, giving us that number.

We stayed at this church, called Mullsberry I do believe. We had some fun with cookie dough pie, wacking bee hives, and random eye stinging there. ;)
We went to this Hutturite Community in South Dakota as well. This, my friends, was amazing. Basically a Hutturite is similar to Amish. Except, they do have electricity. They're very close-knit, conservative, quiet communities. They dress VERY modestly, and aren't allowed to leave the community whenever they want. They must ask the leader of the town, (the pastor) and the boss if it's okay, and they have to be back that day I think, and yeah. They're VERY strict.
So naturally, I was very nervous.
To be respectful, all the girls wore long skirts, and conservative shirts. Guys just wore pants, and a nicer shirt. I felt like my grandmother.
This lady Rhonda, showed us around, answered our questions. We saw lots of children, and they were just the most adorable little things. We were allowed to play with them on their playground, and it was just so interesting! They were fascinated by us, our jewelry, our make-up, shoes, our lives. They wanted to know everything!
I talked to this one girl, who was 14. Bytheway, when you're 15 in this community, you're an adult. You only go to school through 8th grade, and the women serve the men. Anyways! Her name was Marie. She was quite interesting. She kept saying how unbeautiful she felt. She thought she was ugly, fat, and unattractive. She hated it here, and she felt she had no freedom. She basically couldn't wait to get out of there. She thought I was so beautiful, and I really didn't know how to handle all that. I kept telling her God created her, therefore she was automatically beautiful. I don't know if she believed me though, I sure hope she did. She actually swore in front of me too! I was astounded. She said she likes to gossip alot. It was just...wow. Unexpected.
We went to the Badlands too, Mount Rushmore, and Navy Pier in Chicago.
The sight-seeing was great, but by the end of it, I was just ready to get to conference already!
:D

No comments:

Post a Comment